When you are searching for a respite worker or a day facility, be sure to
ask the program coordinator the services and training they offer. Typical
- What training do staff receive before they are certified as respite workers?
- Has the staff member assigned to your family member worked with
consumers with the same or similar needs as your family member?
- Who provides the training and what are their credentials?
- Can family caregivers attend and observe training sessions?
- How are background searches conducted on new employees?
- How do agency staff monitor the quality of the service?
- What kind of emergency training are staff given?
- What is the procedure for emergencies if the respite worker cannot reach
the family caregiver?